Circular Congregational Church is an architectural landmark in Charleston, South Carolina. The church campus is highlighted by a noble main sanctuary building, completed in 1892, and an excellent example of the Richardson Romanesque style and characterized by its massing, ribbons of windows and openings, short tower and large arched entry. Directly adjacent stands the neo-classical education and fellowship building, Lance Hall, that was constructed in 1851. The surrounding churchyard is the oldest burial ground in the city with earliest known graves from the late 17th century.
Over the years Studio A has done several projects for the church, including renovations to all the buildings following 1990’s Hurricane Hugo. A later project included a discrete handicapped access ramp serving the sanctuary building. The most recent work was the classroom addition to Lance Hall, in collaboration with Frank Harmon Architects, and reconfiguring Lance Hall’s interiors to integrate with the new building, a project that doubled the church’s Sunday School facilities.