In downtown Charleston, South Carolina, stands this extraordinary example of an original “suburban villa,” built in 1802 by Daniel Cannon, namesake of the surrounding “Cannonborough” neighborhood. The building’s perfect proportions lend a remarkable delicacy to this grand structure. Its wonderful craftsmanship and durability are a testimony to the attention to detail that was accomplished under the guidance of this sawmill owner and house builder. The house was recently described by Historic Charleston Foundation as one of the “...largest, most intact Federal period houses in the city...”
Studio A recognized the need of MUSC to balance the building’s restoration and preservation with the functional requirements of the School of Pharmacy. Studio A and MUSC have worked to integrate the historic significance of the building with the administrative needs of the School.